Sunday, November 27, 2011

Zakopane

We took a two night trip to Zakopane this weekend. Jill won a weeklong stay in a vacation apartment in a lottery at her women's association, but since I couldn't take a week off school, we just went for the weekend. And it's probably fine just the same. Zakopane is kind of a tourist trap. For Polish tourists, but still..

For example, see how JR is looking at this bear suspiciously? Well he knew something we didn't, apparently. After getting a picture or two with this bear, we go, "Dziekuje!", and he goes (in Polish) "that'll be 10 zloty". I tried to tell him I just had 7, and he goes, "I can make change." Awesome. Nothing like being shaken down by a giant smiling bear. I felt like Clark Griswald for some reason.

Anyway, overall the weekend was fine. It wasn't crowded since they're between seasons. Maybe we'll go back and do some hiking next year when it's warmer, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for those shifty bears!